Sunday, September 24, 2017

A Few Thoughts on Stillness

Quietness.

Stillness.

It's so hard to find in this fast-paced, busy world. Yet, it is for this our souls long. Often though we aren't even aware of the longing we have for stillness. We have become so used to distractions. Our phone constantly dinging notifications, telling us all the ways we are important and admired through the likes and shares of Facebook and Instagram, the retweets from Twitter. The rushing around of living life. Constantly hurrying to the next urgent activity. Never having an ending to any of this.

Often we are living up to the expectations of others, our culture, or even our own expectations, not the expectations of Jesus.The real question is, "What is Jesus asking of you?" Jesus knows we have 24 hours. He made them. He made us need time for sleep, need to eat, need to clean up. None of these are surprises to Him. He wouldn't ask us to do things that don't make sure we have time to do all we need to do to care for ourselves and those entrusted to us.

At a women's retreat I spoke at this past weekend I was reminded of the story in Luke 10:38-42. The story of Mary and Martha. It's a story well-known and told often. It's a great story to show how we are meant to be Human BEings, but we tend to live like we are Human DOings. And we think that's what Jesus wanted, for us to live up to all these expectations. However, in the Message version verse 41-42 reads, "The Master said,"Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it-it's the main course, and won't be taken from her.""

I heard it said recently at a Healing Care Ministries event, that Martha was making sandwiches that Jesus never ordered. This was such an Aha! moment for me. How often do I think, this is something I NEED to do? If I don't do it, how will this happen? When in reality, it's something that is an expectation, and something I think I'll be judged for if I don't do it. Martha was in a tough predicament, this gathering was at her house and the societal expectation was for her to make a meal for those gathered at her house. However, as we saw from the experience with the loaves and fishes in Matthew 14, He could feed the multitudes with very little. He didn't need Martha to make a meal, she just thought He did.

How do I know when it's time to Be and when it's time to Do? It's a great question. My experience has been that as I became more of a Human Being and I learned to just Be, the Lord told me when it was time to stand up and Do. Then I come back in His Presence once more, secure in who He has made me to Be and then once more, He will send me out to what He has for me. But I want to be so secure in who I am that I will only want to do what the Lord asks of me, no more and no less. I can only do that when I've taken time for stillness with Him.

I'll address some tips on how to be still in an upcoming post. If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them below. Let's keep this topic going. Until next time... Journey on!

No comments:

Post a Comment